Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day look using MAC, Urban Decay, and NYX

Alright! It's St. Patrick's day and I'm not remotely Irish but it's a great reason to wear green! This look can be done using any variety of green colors. You'll need a mid-tone green, bright green, and dark green. I'm using a variety of products to achieve this, so, it can't be done with just one palette that I own. However, you can achieve the same thing with different brands/shades.




What will you need?


1. Eye primer
2. cream shadow base in white/neutral and green
3. Three green shades: bright, midtone, and dark.
4. a matte, black shadow
5. black liquid eyeliner, black pencil eyeliner, green pencil eyeliner
6. shader brush, crease brush, blending brush, regular eyeshadow brush, pencil shadow brush
7. Bottle of water for pigments (if you use any)
8. of course........mascara


1.) Prime the lid. I'm using E.L.F.'s eyeshadow primer for one dollar at target!! It's pretty darn good stuff. I wouldn't say it is as good as urban decay primer potion or NYX's HD eyeshadow primer (I consider these two equivalent) but it's aaaaaalllllmost as good. It shows signs of wear about an hour or two earlier than the previous two I listed.




2.) Apply a cream shadow base to the lid in green. I'm using NYX's jumbo eye pencil in rocky mountain green. Apply this from lashes to crease (not into crease but up to it). Take a light white color and apply to the brow bone at this time also (highlight).

3.) Apply the green midtone color to the lid. Here, I'm using a MAC pigment in antique green. I ALWAYS apply pigments wet, no exceptions. It gives you the best, vibrant color of the pigment. This is no exception. Spray that shader brush with water, grab the green pigment, and apply all over the cream shadow base on the lid. Below, I have the picture of the MAC pigment I used.


4.) Now, take the deepest green color and apply it to the crease (using a crease brush). I'm using 'libertine' from Urban Decay's black palette. The color is a green that's very dark (dipped in black) and pictured at the bottom right of the palette. The black palette is one of my favorites from UD and probably gets the most use of all their palettes. I'm also going to use the matte black, 'black dog' in this look. I use this palette almost everyday mostly for no other reason than that one, perfect, matte black. The palette can be purchased only at sephora, btw.

Front of the palette pictured below...

5.) Apply a bright colored shadow/pigment right below the arch of the brow over the white cream base. I'm using NYX's pearl pigment in 'pearl'. These pigments are cheap (I bought mine for 1.99 each) and they are freaking awesome! They apply great, stay on, and look vibrant. I highly, highly, reccomend. Again, I'm using a wet shader brush to loosely apply this. We'll blend it out in a minute.




6.) Now, blend the libertine in with a clean blending brush. Also, blend the pearl pigment into the crease color to allow for transition. Apply more libertine if need be and keep blending until you get a good look.
**Here, I'll add a trick I use to get precise looking eye makeup. I apply my eyemakeup before any foundation and use a cloth makeup remover to easily remove any eyeshadow fallout or mistakes. I get the eyes all clean with the wipe before I apply my foundation. Whala.....perfect eyemakeup with no fallout on your face.

7.) Now, use an eye pencil brush (a smaller, precise brush) to pick up the matte, black color (I'm using 'black dog' from the black palette) and apply that to the outer "V" over the libertine. We do this for additional depth. Blend that out with the clean blending brush also.

8.) For a little extra pop, I'm using a bright green for the center of the lid only. I am using 'kush' from the Urban Decay Book of Shadows III. Ignore the brush in the picture...."kush" is at the top right. See how pretty it is? Looks just like money.....:-)


9.) Now, you're ready to line the upper lashline. I'm using a liquid liner. I prefer maybelline's Ultra Liner in black. I wing this out a little at the edge of the eye.

10.) Line the lower waterline with a black liner. I'm using Physician's formula Shimmer strips liner in black. I also like Urban Decay's 24/7 liner in Zero, as well as L'oreal's HIP black chrome eyeliner for this purpose.

11.) Line the lower lashline with a green liner. I'm using a 24/7 glide on pencil from Urban Decay in 'mildew'. You want to place this right below the black on the waterline.
12.) Curl lashes and apply mascara. I'm currently loving L'oreal's voluminous million lashes with Maybelline's lash stiletto on top. (volumizing for the first coat then legthening for the second is a winning combo).

And....the finished look......






























No comments:

Post a Comment