Thursday, February 10, 2011

Jesse's Girl Eyedust: Applying pigments wet!

So, I like color, most of you know that if you know me. However, though it may be hard to believe, I've never applied my minerals/pigments wet! So, I decided to do that today. I love Jesse's Girl eyedusts as the best cheap pigments, but I've had them fade/crease without using adequate primer/base so I decided to see how they would do wet. All the products used in this tutorial are drugstore and therefore pretty affordable. You can get great color for a small price!!! (Jesse's Girl can be found at Rite Aid and online)

Lets get to it..........



This is the finished look on my eyes. The look is a green/blue/black mix. Not too dark, more bold.




The finished look overall.




So, to start, of course, always use a primer. Any primer will work. For the eyedusts (and bare minerals loose shadows), I use BOTH a primer and a cream shadow for extra staying power. This did prevent the Jesse's girl from creasing, btw. I use the skin tone pink here in the Revlon Illuminance cream pallette.




Unfortunately, once you open the package of Jesse's girl, you loose the color name! I believe this is called 'majestic green'. This is how the outside of the packaging looks.




To apply loose pigments, place some color in the lid and then dip your brush into it. You can use a brush specially designed for loose shadow (bare minerals line) or any stiff shadow brush. Here, I'm using the E.L.F. eyeshadow brush.




To apply the shadows wet, the easiest technique is to buy an empty sprayer bottle (at target or anywhere else) and use it to spray the brush with water. I give the brush two sprays only so I don't overwet the brush and then pack on the shadow. Pat the shadow on, don't rub. If you need more color, redip the brush -> you shouldn't have to rewet again.


Now for the crease color. I've chosen "blackstar blue" from Jesse's girl (i just happened to remember that name for some reason). We will apply this dry since it's going into the crease. I used my Essence of Beauty crease brush to pick up the color.

Pick up the color as you do with any other mineral -> place color in lid, tap of excess and apply to crease and outer corner.


Now, blend the crease color out and blend it into the green a bit. I'm using my Kat Von D clean crease brush to blend.


I'm turning to Wet N' Wild's sweet as candy color trio for the browbone color. I'm using the lightest color in this pallette for the browbone.



I always like a little extra depth, so I'm using my essence of beauty brush (came in the crease brush duo set -> this one is smaller than the other crease brush I use). The reason I'm using the smaller crease brush is for precision; I just want the matte black in the outer V and it's easier to use a smaller brush for this application. The color I'm using is the matte black in Wet N' Wild's Greed pallette.


Now, I line my eyes with liquid liner everyday. Again, you don't have to use liquid; you can use a gel or pencil. However, a liquid or gel will show up better against the colors we used. I'm using maybelline's ultra liner for this. I wing out the liner just a little on the upper lashline only.


For the lower lashline, liquid is typically too harsh. So, I'm using two colors. For the outer 3/4 of the lower lashline, I'm using L'oreal HIP's color chrome eyeliner. This is just a black eyeliner but I like HIP for staying power.


For the inner 1/4 of the lower lashline that is yet unlined, I'm using Revlon's colorstay liner in Teal.


I want to reinforce that pencil eyeliner to make it stay longer, so I'm using the same matte black I used before from Wet N' Wild's Greed pallette to place over the liner. For lining with shadow, my favorite brush ever is Bare Minerals Soft focus liner brush. These brushes are made to place shadow on the lashline so they are tops for this purpose. I only apply the black to the portion of the lower lashline that we used the black pencil for.



To finish off the look, I use Revlon's super lustrous lip gloss. The color I'm using is in 'pink whisper' (see below). I LOVE revlon's super lustrous glosses. I'd compare the super lustrous to the high end bare minreals glosses I own.

















No comments:

Post a Comment