Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Completely Bare: A Bare Minerals Tutorial

This look is done with only bare minerals eyeshadows and the overall look includes a bare minerals lip. For anyone not familiar with, or have never purchased, a bare minerals shadow, I will say this: They are great eyeshadows, they last forever, and the color is very pure. The only downside to bare minerals eye products is dealing with the fact that they are loose and that can be frustrating if you are new to pigments. The most important thing is that you MUST use a primer and you need to pat the eyeshadow on (don't sweep or rub). If you don't pat the eyeshadows on, you will have shadow all over your face. As with other bare minerals products, I believe that once you master the learning curve, you can realize the true beauty and awsomeness of the line. :-)




As I noted earlier, a primer is a must to keep the loose shadows in place!! You can use any eyeshadow primer, but, I'm going with Urban Decay Primer Potion (my favorite high end primer). I reccomend buying this in the professional size (as pictured above) as it's easier to get more primer out of the packaging.







Just for good measure, I'm also using a cream base over the primer. I use a cream shadow over primer when I'm dealing with eyeshadow that doesn't tend to 'stick' well OR If I need the eyeshadow to last for more than eight hours or so. My go to cream shadow pallette is pictured above, and it's Revlon's creme illuminance in Seashells. I use the peach colored shade that is positioned one from the right.


For the bare minerals eyeshadow application, I'm using a bare minerals brush. The one pictured is the Full tapered shadow brush. The bare minerals brushes are great for the bare minerals shadows because they are so dense and hold so much color. However, you can use any eyeshadow brush for this (such as the E.L.F. $1 brush).






For the lid color, I'm using bare radiance (pictured above both open and closed). Now, bare radiance is categorized as an all over face color (a.k.a. blush) by bare minerals. I thought it was pretty, so I decided to use it as a shadow. To apply, pick up color with your eyeshadow brush, either by placing color in the lid or by lightly dipping brush into color. Make sure to tap your brush off so that all excess color drops off, giving you a brush with just enough color for your eyes. To apply, TAP the brush to lid and keep tapping until you have covered the entire lid.



For the crease color, I'm using bare minerals 'quickie shadow' brush. It's small and tapered, making it easy to get color in the crease. Again, however, you can use any crease brush.





I'm using bare minerals shadow in 'tiramisu' for the crease color. This is a nice taupe color. Again, pick up color the same way we did with bare radiance and blend into crease. I would tap on the outer edges of the eye to and then sweep into the crease to avoid color fallout.


Now, blend the tiramisu with the bare radiance. All blending when using bare minerals should be with a light hand. The really awesome thing about the loose shadows is that they are very easy to blend and it doesn't take a lot to do the blending. I'm again using the Kat Von D eye crease brush for this.






If you are satisfied with the look up to here, you can skip this step. But, for extra dimension in the outer lid, I'm using a deep purple shadow in the color 'kir royale'. I use the quickie shadow brush to pat this in the outer corner of the eye and the first outer half of the lower lash line as well as placing the color slightly into the crease. After application, grab the blending brush again and blend that into the tiramisu.




For the highlight, I'm again using my smashbox tapered shadow brush.





The highlight color I'm using is 'light show' by bare minreals. Grab that with the tapered shadow brush (or any eye shadow brush) and place that in the crease. Again, tap to place the color and then blend with the shadow brush; be careful not to 'erase' your crease color.





For the liners, I'm still sticking with the Bare Minerals line. However, bare minerals only recently started making pencil liners as they used liner shadows in the past. So, due to this change, I typically prefer the Buxom line. Buxom is a bare minerals brand (owned by and manufactured by the same company); however, you can only find Buxom liners at Sephora. Don't ask me why....I don't get it either since they sell other Buxom products at bare minreals botiques.


The liner colors I'm using are Onyx and Amethyst. Place Onyx to the entire upper lashline and outer lower lash line (place from outer corner to mid eye) and then place Amethyst to the inner lower lash line. Blend them, together and smudge if you want, but do it fast! These liners set and then don't move. I do really love the Buxom liners so much!



Still sticking with the Bare Minerals line, I'm using Bare Minerals Flawless Definition volumizing mascara. I think this is a pretty good mascara but I don't advocate for spending lots of money on their mascaras. I feel that lots of drugstore mascaras are just as good. The exception is the Buxom line mascara. I love that mascara -> It is my favorite of all time. I cannot seem to find a mascara as good as the Buxom mascara but that won't stop me in my quest to try.


For the lip, I'm using Buxom again. The buxom gloss line is my favorite of all high end glosses. It does 'plump' lips, so it feels cool and a little tingly when you apply it but be assured that this is normal! My favorite color of buxom gloss is pictured above -> the color is 'princess'. Again, I cannot say enough good about Buxom glosses. I definately give my blessing on anyone wanting to purchase.


This is the eye finished look. You can see that the colors are well blended and the look is a more natural one.

Finished look put all together!! I liked it a lot! Thanks for the request from brs.momma for the look. Keep the requests coming. I love being challenged. Request brands, looks, reviews, whatever -> just keep them coming!


























1 comment:

  1. thanks so much for the inspiration! i just got back from the outlets and spent $75...excited to try out the new stuff! you are soo creative!

    ReplyDelete