Sunday, January 30, 2011

Urban Decay Book of Shadows III Tutorial

And now.........for a high end look! My favorite high end brand is Urban Decay. Their products are just top notch as far as quality goes and the selection is amazing. The colors are just perfect and suit my makeup taste perfectly.

This is a look I created with the purple colors in the palette. It combines glitter, matte, and shimmer. This is a moderately complicated look.

First, as always apply primer to lids. You can use any primer, but I'm using Urban Decay Primer Potion since I'm going with Urban Decay products.



After applying primer, use a clean eyeshadow brush to apply 'bordello' to the inner lids only. For this look, we will split the eyelid into thirds. Apply this color to the inner third. As usual, I'm using my E.L.F. eyeshadow brush.



Next, clean the eyeshadow brush on a clean cloth and grab the darker purple color labeled 'psychedelic sister' and apply to the middle third of the lid. No need to blend the colors yet; just apply like paint by numbers.



Finally, we will apply the darkest purple to the outer third of the lids. Clean the eyshadow brush again and apply 'rockstar' to the outer third of the lid. With all colors, apply all over lid to crease.



Now, use a clean blending brush to lightly blend the three purles so that they gradually blend into each other. What you are trying to get rid of are harsh lines between the colors. Since they are all very similar, this shouldn't take an awful lot of blending. Again, I'm using my Kat Von D blending brush (avaliable at Sephora).


Finally, use a crease brush (here I'm using Essence of beauty's crease brush) to blend the matte black 'perversion' into the crease.


Now, use a clean blending brush (wipe on soft cloth if this is the same brush used earlier) to blend the crease color so no harsh lines exist. For me, this sometimes mutes the color too much and I go back and add more color to the edges with my color crease brush.



Finally, we take my favorite shade ever, 'midnight cowboy rides again' and place it as a highlight to the brow bone and inner eyes. You can use a fluffy shadow brush for this and blend with this same brush. Here, I'm using sonia kashuk's eyeshadow brush (target stores).


Next, it's time for eyeliner. For my lower lash line, I use the Urban Decay 24/7 liner pencils. Now, let me say these are my favorite liner pencils ever! I'm currently looking for a cheaper dupe though because a full size pencil is 17 dollars each. So, I'm using the two pencils that come with the set. The black color, 'zero' goes on the outer lower lash line (only line half). On the inner lower lash line (the inner half to completely line the lower lash line), I use the purple color, 'ransom'. Blend where the two colors meet and smudge out the lower lash line if desired.


For the upper lash line, I use black liquid liner. So, again, I'm using E.L.F. liquid liner in black.


Now, this is my favorite part. I like to add a little more sparkle to the look. I love the NYX candy glitter liners. You can use these as liner, or just anywhere you want. It's a glitter gel and they come in different colors. For this, I'm using the green candy glitter liner. The above picture is a close up of the brush.

This is a better view of the glitter liner tube. Since NYX makes this, it means it's affordable and avaliable at either Ulta or a variety of online sites (such as cherryculture.com). Each costs aboout 4.79 at Ulta or ulta.com (and they're worth every penny!). If you don't like glitter you can skip this step. What I do is apply the liner over the black liquid liner on my upper lash line. I usually only apply to the outer half of the lid unless it's for a nighttime look; for nighttime, I apply all over the upper lashline. The key is to do a thin line. The only downside to these liners is that they take a little while to dry, so you must keep your eyes half closed for a little while.

Now, curl your lashes and apply your favorite black mascara. Right now, I'm using Rimmel's glam' eyes.

This is the finished look on just the eyes. You can see the glitter, graduated purples, and the black.

This is the finished look! thanks so much~!












No comments:

Post a Comment