Friday, January 28, 2011

Manic Panic for the dyehards!

Sorry I don't have any pictures for this. This post is about using manic panic to dye your hair and if you've used it, you know that it's staining. I didn't want to get my camera all pink. But, I'm going to go through the steps to use manic panic to get good results.

First, before I get into it, I have to layout how manic panic will affect different hair types. Manic panic is a temporary dye but they reccomend bleaching hair first for the best color. If you bleach your hair and put manic panic over it, you will get a really bright color. I haven't done this myself so I can't say much about it. I have naturally brown hair that I go to a salon to have dyed red. The red looks great but (as anyone with dyed red hair knows), it's so hard to keep vibrant and fresh. It will fade inevitably. You can postpone the fading by using color safe shampoos and reducing the frequency of washing your hair but again, it will happen. So, I use manic panic (in vampire red) to brighten my current color when it fades. It does a great job of this. The color takes well and makes my hair look again, like i'vet stepped out of the salon. However, If I did the same color manic panic over my naturally brown hair it would not take nearly as well. You can use the manic panic reds over undyed brown hair but it won't be as noticeable. There are many pictures of this online. So, if you're interested look them up. I definately did a lot of reasearch before I dyed.


So, lets get on with it.....

1.) pick a color: manic panic has tons of bright shades and some not so often seen shades. I stick with red as it looks more understated than a pink or other. I do want to use purple one day.....

2.) purchase manic panic: i get mine from sally's beauty supply but they also sell it at other outlets and online.

3.) purchase supplies. You will need: a color mixing bowl, a color brush applicator, gloves, shower caps, vaseline, and hair clips. Oh, and towels and clothes you don't care for very much.

4.) Patch test: this is very important. I don't feel like they really emphasize its importance on the dye. You have to apply the dye to your inner forearm and let it dry. leave it there for 24 hours and watch for a reaction. If you have a reaction (reddness, etc...) then it's a no go. THEN, I would reccomend a strand patch test to make sure you don't have to schedule corrective color the next day. Apply it to a small section and see how that goes first.

The actual dying process:

1.) clear your bathroom counter and lay down a towel or newspaper - something you don't mind getting dyed. Get your supplies out and put them on the towel.

2.) apply vaseline to hairline and ears to prevent staining.

3.) brush through your hair and section with a part. I do mine in two sections and clip each when I'm done.

4.) Put on gloves (also, I like to have a second pair handy) and pour the dye into the bowl.

5.) Use the tint brush to pick up dye and apply as close to roots as possible. Apply to right and left side of part. Keep sectioning off 1/2 inch sections with a comb to apply all over roots.

6.) once done with one section's roots, apply to ends with brush and gloved hands. Now, twist hair and clip up. Be very careful not to splash the dye in your eyes (very bad as the label states). I do the actual dying pretty slowly.

7.) repeat on the other side.

8) take off current gloves and use second pair to clean bowl, brush, and comb. Put them all aside

9.) apply shower cap to dyed hair and wait forever........ The dye says to leave on for 15-30 minutes but I usually leave it on for at least 2 hours. Some people sleep in it or leave it on for 4 hours. I do this for better color. I have read that this is okay since the dye is really like a stained conditioner but if you want to stick with the 30 minute time, that's fine.

10.) shampoo out with a color protecting shampoo. be careful not to get dye in eyes during the shower.

11.) bleach towels used and clean shower. Mine always turns pink.

That's about it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment